Friday, February 8, 2013

Cacti : How to use templates

Cacti is a pretty good tool to generate graph. It is developped using php and rrd to store the data collected. Its templates are very usefull and very powerfull.... if you figure out how to create them and in which order ;-)
I recently had to graph a family of devices using Cacti. Using templates was an absolute necessity so I spent time trying to figure out how to use them... It took me few days, so if I may spare that time to somebody else, I decided to write a little documentation on the subject. It's more a flow chart than anything else and it is not official documentation but it might help. Because the size of the flowchart is actually quite big, I only put a thumbsize image here but I included a link to a PDF version of the normal size one.






Link to the original post with PDF version of the document.